“The M&R system has been very useful in giving a strategic perspective to our energy efficiency goals. It provides all the necessary energy data in one location and helps to visualise and communicate both progress to date and targets still to achieve.”
Kieran Brassil, Energy Assistant at UCD
SensorCIS is a secure online tool that allows organisations to easily gather, manage and analyse their meter and sensor data. With customised add-ons to its platform, it has both contributed significantly towards and provided the proof of the following:
- Energy Savings Encouraged, Tracked & Publicised: Using SensorCIS, public bodies avoided energy usage equating to €121 million and achieved annual primary energy savings of 1,840 GWh, which equates to 418,000 tonnes of CO2 savings.
- Business Awareness of the Innovation: 311 public bodies and 1,417 standalone schools and 265 schools under the aegis of the 16 Education and Training Boards (ETBs) submitted data to the SEAI using the SensorCIS system. This is an impressive 96% of all public bodies.
- Public Bodies are now cooperating by sharing details of the energy efficient projects.
- Customisable Tools: Its next version will allow public bodies to track and analyse any activity metric including waste production.
One of the primary goals of SEAI is to improve energy efficiency within the public sector by 33% by 2020. In order to achieve this, it first needed to measure what energy was being used by Public Bodies each year. Once measured, it could then report on the energy savings being made. They wanted a system that can be used both as a basic reporting portal and a day-to-day energy management tool. The first big challenge was how to get Public Bodies to report their energy data. Public bodies argued the following:
- It’s a waste of time – We don’t see any benefit to our organisation.
- It costs too much – In terms of resources required and time spent gathering info.
- We don’t have the skills or know-how to do it.
- We already have an existing in-house system used to record data.
It became apparent the SEAI would need to build a system – the Monitoring & Reporting (M&R) system – that offered so many benefits that all resistance to using it would quickly disappear.
Solution – SensorCIS
- The Modified SensorCIS: Ultan Technologies developed add-ons to its SensorCIS platform in order to support the SEAI’s M&R programme. The SensorCIS platform is a complex system that manages to extract the required information from the Public Sector bodies and present it in a way that encourages people to increase their efforts to achieve energy efficiencies.
- Centralised Monitoring & Reporting Tool: Real-time progress updates from a centralised system that makes it easy for SEAI and end- users to assess their usage and provide detailed, customised reports.
SensorCIS has been an integral contributor to the success of the SEAI M&R project. There is abundant evidence for the success of this software in the SEAI Annual Report which has recently been published. See Report . The secure and reliable platform of SensorCIS has strengthened SEAI’s loyalty to Ultan Technologies products & services. Ultan Technologies was awarded another tender for the provision of services for SEAI’s Public Sector Monitoring and Reporting System.